As we move into the Fall we strive to maintain our overall health and well-being. Let’s look at some immune supportive nutrients.
• Vitamin C is needed by your white blood cells which are an important part of your immune system. When our body is under stress it tends to use vitamin C faster.
• Vitamin D supports the big eaters of our immune system our macrophages, which engulf wayward microbes. It may be more difficult to synthesize in our skin during fall and winter in the northwest.
• Probiotics support a healthy immune response. A significant portion of our immune system resides in our gastrointestinal tract (GI) tract thus probiotics support immune health.
• Astragalus is a great seasonal support herb because it activates aspects of our immune system. It has been valued by the Chinese for centuries for its immune support properties.
• Elderberry supports wellness with in the respiratory tract. For centuries the dark berries of European black elder (Sambucus nigra L.) have been traditionally used as a winter remedy to support immune health.
• Olive leaf contains the constituent, oleuropein, which may support a healthy immune response.
• Oregano is an ancient Greek herb that grows throughout the Mediterranean region and has been used in folk medicine for centuries. This herb may support respiratory health.
Specific products to consider for immune health
• Source Naturals Wellness Formula has been used for many years to support immune health when under physical stress. It contains a combination of herbs, antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals formulated to support your well-being.
• Natural Immunogenics Sovereign Silver promotes immune function and supports the body’s innate healing processes. This silver is actively charged, easily absorbed, small particle size, and is over 99% pure.
• Allera Immunextra is a one a day immune support product that is from proligna a patented scotch pine extract. It may promote immune system development.
• Boiron Coldcalm a homeopathic remedy that relieves the following cold symptoms: sneezing, runny nose, nasal congestion & sore throat.
• Boiron Oscillococcinum a homeopathic remedy that relieves the following symptoms: body aches, headaches, fever, chills, fatigue & other flu-like symptoms.
• Nature’s Way Umcka ColdCare shortens the duration and reduces the severity of symptoms associated with common colds, throat, bronchial, and sinus infections such as congestion, hoarseness, cough, headache, minor aches, sore throat, and helps to loosen phlegm to make coughs more productive.